Wednesday, July 6, 2016

From a 90's Baby

My friends always used to tell me "you always look good."  Not that I always really did look good, but I always loved to put my outfits together.  When I was younger, it was sneakers.  I had a whole collection of sneakers, mainly jordans and nikes, with a few Converse, G-unit, Adidas, and Guess thrown in there.  A pair in every color,  to match every outfit.  This was also when bell bottoms, or as we called then "flares" and "bootcuts" were in style.  Hip hugger waistlines.  When you sat down your ass crack would probably show.  Skinny jeans and waistlines that went above the hip bone or anywhere close to the bellybutton is something only our mothers and grandmothers would think about wearing.  How the times have changed.  Recently I went threw my mothers attic.  When I moved I kept 80% of my belongings here, and only took with me what would fit in my trunk at the time.  I laughed at what I found.  Neon colored sneakers. Sneakers with fur inside.  Timberland style high heels.  Extremely chunky wedges. Shorts so short my ass was hanging out from the bottom, and pants so low the crack would hang out the top."Baby doll tops" aka the shirts that make you look pregnant and belly shirts, that even girls with a little extra felt comfortable flaunting .  I would never wear any of these now.  Last year, I took a pair of my mothers high wasted jeans, and cut and sewed them into a cute pair of shorts.  i think she went into shock that i would ever wear something of hers.  Chunky wedges are now replaced with classier and much more delicate strappy and pointy toed stilletos and pumps.  Although I will admit the wedges and chunky heels were much more comfortable.  There is not a single day that I can wear a pointy toed stilletto and not come home with blisters and feet that ache for 2 days.  I can't remember the last time I wore a jean that didn't tightly fit around my ankle.  Now when I pick out shorts, if I shop at the stylish "junior" stores, it always a question of "don't they make anything longer then this?"  "What.. does everyone want their ass to show?"  "Can you see my cellulite?"  I will always prefer sneakers, however the older I get the less I feel like they can go with everyday wear.  If I wear my favorite pair of Jordans with a pair of skinny jeans, I feel like I look like I'm 17 again.  As much as i hate sandals, they look better.  Unfortunately, the climate I currently live in rarely allows boots, besides about 1 month out of the year.  Otherwise this would be my go to shoe.  Fashion is confusing, but interesting.  Everything comes and goes in rotation.  I guarantee in another 10 years, if I save everything from my mothers attic, I'll be the hippest mother on the block.  But more on that later.

No comments:

Post a Comment